Monday, December 12, 2016

Final Post

            Well, this is the final blog post and assignment for EME course but just because this class is ending does not mean the skills I have gained along the way will just stop there. I will be honest, at the beginning of this course I was dreading having to take this class. I knew it could help me because technology is not really my forte but I knew it would be a long process and one I thought I was going to not really enjoy. However, that is really not the case here. I have to say I learned so much from this course and I did not dread learning new elements along the way.
            Here, I learned the fundamentals of teaching with technology and the foundations of a new language. Marcinek’s article on, “Technology and teaching: Finding a balance” she refers to apps and other technological aids as opportunities rather than apps. That is key here, the word opportunities because that is exactly what this course has brought to me. The opportunity of where technology can lead me as person and as teacher. It has brought to my attention that technology is the new way of learning and is a new literacy one must obtain in order to be digitally literate and be current with today’s world. She also talks about finding that perfect balance; this is something our textbook mentioned with examples when talking about what technology should be used in what way. It is important we learn what kind of technology is the right kind of technology to use in order to correspond to the lessons we are trying to teach (Marcinek, 2014).


            I want to discuss this in a little more depth because I feel it is the best way I can describe this course. This is a chart that I used in the previous assignment but I never really explained. It is the Bloom’s Taxonomy chart the renewed version. This displays different levels of learning. Levels one and two are remembering and understanding, so here is where we start to be presented information over and over and then are able to recall what those specific things are within that context. Then we have levels three and four applying and analyzing, this is important because this is where we try to apply the things we learned and started to understand  but in a different way, for instance hyperlinking, using citations in apa, embedding, etc. Then we have the last two levels evaluating and creating. This is where we have higher level thinking and start to display digital literacy as well as critical thinking skills. This has been my favorite part because we put our knowledge that we gained into creating something that has our own personal touches on them. We applied tools and techniques while also learning others by creating websites, rubrics, and even communication. This course has helped me in my other classes as well. Just as an example, I have been taking the EDF teaching class as well and there are assignments in this course which required the evaluation and creation of rubrics and websites that I was able to apply and create again in my other classes. The WebQuest in particular has been one of my favorite assignments and something I have been using ever since. I felt it really has added value all over as well as many others.
            I am happy that I have completed this course but like I said just because this course has ended does not mean my skills will. I will definitely apply what I have learned to future classes and classrooms. I understand the importance of teaching with technology and how it will enhance students learning for every kind of student. It is my job as a future teacher to take advantage of every opportunity possible to educate myself in order to educate my students because, “t is a universal language spoken by the entire world” (Marcinek, 2014).


These are 10 Tips I would recommend to someone being introduced to technology and a course similar to this. 











References
Marcinek, A. (2014, March 11). Technology and teaching: Finding a balance. Retrieved October 12, 2016, from Technology Integration, https://www.edutopia.org/blog/technology-and-teaching-finding-balance-andrew-marcinek



LisaStroschine’s channel (2013, April 30). 10 tips for teaching with technology Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTQN73tWVpI

No comments:

Post a Comment